Whitby Lighthouse is a lighthouse operated by Trinity House. It is located on Ling Hill, on the coast to the south-east of Whitby, beyond Saltwick Bay. It should not be confused with the two lighthouses located on the piers in Whitby itself, which protect the town’s harbour.
The lighthouse, a white octagonal brick tower, was designed by James Walker of civil engineers Messrs. Walker, Burgess & Cooper. Foundations were laid on 12 April 1857 with construction carried out by local builder William Falkingbridge of Well Close Square, Whitby. Supervising the construction Henry Norris of James Walker’s firm was engaged as Superintendent of the Works on behalf of Trinity House. The light was first lit on 1 October 1858 with costs of construction having run to about £8,000.
Originally, it was one of a pair of towers aligned north-south and known as the twin lights of Whitby North (also known as the High Light) and Whitby South. Their purpose was to show fixed lights over Whitby Rock. In 1890, a more efficient light was installed in the High Light, allowing the South Light to be deactivated. The lighthouse was electrified in 1976 and automated in 1992; the former lighthouse keepers’ cottages are now available to hire by holidaymakers.
The Whitby Fog Signal located adjacent to the lighthouse has been deactivated, and the building is also now used as holiday accommodation.